Best Bun Bo Nam Bo in Hanoi : 67 Hang Dieu Street ,Hanoi Street Food Hanoi Bun Bo Nam BoBun Bo Nam Bo (beef noodles in the south) is also known as stirred beef vermicelli. The simplicity and elegance is what people describe about this dish. Instead of using sophisticated broth as Pho, sauce is used for Bun bo Nam Bo. Besides, fresh raw accompanying vegetables, fried onion, roasted peanuts and bean sprouts are indispensable elements.Beef used for the dish is well soaked in sugar, fish sauce and pepper and other seasonings. Only when customers order, beef will be stirred to keep its heat, tenderness and richness.
The sauce simply consists of fish sauce, sugar, lemon, chili but how to combine these elements properly is the secret recipe of each restaurant, which makes the distinction of each Bun bo Nam Bo restaurant. We tried Bun Bo Nam Bo at a few places, it’s a simple tasty dish of bun noodles with beef, some lettuce and spring onions and nuts and crispy flakes on top. The most famed place to find it is called Bun Bo Nam Bo (67 Hang Dieu). It’s all they serve and they get strong reviews all over place but I have to say that we were both a little underwhelmed and had a far better one at the dubiously named Fast Food Cafe on Ly Quoc Su and another at Yin & Yang restaurant in front of the Handspan offices (78 Ma May). We were too hungry to hunt for food that day and it was more expensive than street food but it was a good’un. It’s a Southern dish so maybe we’ll have better luck in the South.
Hanoi is known to be among the greatest street food cities in the world. The only way to have a feel of the beauty of the Old Quarter and its cuisine is when you take a walking tour through the streets of Hanoi. There are samples of tasty local dishes at a variety of impressive and amazing stalls. You can start your walking tour from Dong Xuan which is the largest covered market you can find in Hanoi. There are a lot of street hawkers with such amazing produce ranging from seafood to mouth-watering fruits. The Hanoi Street Food Tour will provide detailed information about the various traditional food as well as the ingredients used in its preparation and the origin of some of these popular northern dishes. While enjoying the walk tour, you can have a taste of the seasonal fruits and also some nice snacks on carts along the street.
As you go through the network of streets filled with life in the Hanoi’s Old Quarter, there are local eateries where Banh Cuon, the famous Hanoi dish is prepared. The chefs are skillful and always put up a show when it comes to displaying how this scrumptious dish is prepared. Exploring more deeply into the beautiful sites of Hanoi Old Quarter, you’ll find street stalls, shops and houses that’s serene where people resides with almost the same kind of lifestyle ever since Hanoi was created over the past millennium. There is a traditional cake served mainly at engagement parties made from mung beans, pounded rice and sugar.
1. Fried steamed wheat flour cake : fried stream flour Fried steamed wheat flour cake price is about 4000 – 6000 VND, this food is often in the meal in the afternoon. Enjoy with sour sweet sauce or chili sauce
2. Grilled meat by stick: grilled meat : Grilled meat by stick has many lovers especial kids. One price is about 6000 – 10000 VND, you could pay more 2000 VND to have a bread with grilled meat stick. Walking on the streets of Hanoi in the after noon, you can see grilled shops near the side walk with great smell!
3. Banana cake, yam cake: Only with 5000 for one cake, The main ingredients are banana, yam and flour then fry in cooking oil. They are fat food so you could only 1 – 2 cake for once
4. Gio cake: Gio like the name of famous food of Vietnam – Gio Cha but have no Gio in it. This food is made by rice powder and core : chopped black mushroom and meat. The cost is only 7000 – 10000 VND
5. Pillow cake:You are right J.its name like its shape like a pillow. The core inside is meat and quail egg, cost from 7000 – 9000 VND. Pillow cake is often sale in the winter, and people like it. Enjoy with sour sweet sauce and salad
6. Quay:Cheap price is 2000 – 3000 VND/per, Quay is often eaten with salad and sauce as pillow cake. Many people like to put this food in HOT porridge or Pho.
7. Fried food with stick:You can find these food in front of schools for the pupil with cheap price about 5000 – 7000 VND. It’s really a small party for pupil after the school time with full of smile and sharing, there are many kind of stick such as: Hot dog, fried Nem Chua, fish and shrimp…
8. Fried cake: fried cake shopThere are two type of Fried cake depend on their core: the sweet one with sugar and salty one with meat, black mushroom. The main ingredients are rice, peanut powder and honey or sugar. The price is only 2000 – 3000 VND, the salty one price is 4000 VND and enjoy with sauce.
9. Trung Vit Lon: duck egg : Have the babe duck in the eggs, a nutri-food but many foreingers and visitors dont like this food :D . you can find them in Hang Rong shop on ervery streets of Hanoi for breakfast or super. The price is about 6000 – 8000 VND, enjot with salt, ginger.
10. Trung cut lon: quail egg : The same with Trung Vit Lon but Quai’s eggs not Duck’s eggs. I love this food and often buy them from local market to cook. The price in local market only about 10000VND/10 eggs and in the street shop is about 10000VND/5 eggs coz the sauce and they boil them for you. The sauce is made of lemon juice, salt, ginger and pepper.
11. Sugar cane juice-sugar cane juice on street : The price only from 8000 – 10000 VND, this is the great drink for HOT summer and nutritious drink. You can find them everywhere at the drink shop with a sugar cane juice machine, sit down, call for a glass of sugar cane juice and wait for 5 10 minutes. You also walk on streets with a nilon bag of sugar cane juice if you don’t like to sit at the shop.
12. Banh Nhung-nhung shop : 5000 VND for a stack of Banh Nhung, it’s not common food of street food Hanoi. The kids often like them coz the crack.
13. Bo bia: My favorite street foods, I don’t know why name is Bo Bia but it’s really delicious. The ingredients are coconut fibers, sesame and the special is piece of sugar and the “bark” of foods. This food is rolled as spring scroll, the price is only 5000VND, fantastic! What’s a pity , there is now many Bo Bia shop in Hanoi now.
14. Trang Tien ice cream: Trang Tien is the name of street and also the name of famous brand ice cream in Hanoi, everybody in Hanoi know about it. The old brand name for 50 years. It’s not only cheap with price 7000 – 8000 VND and also special by its taste. As its name, you can buy Trang Tien ice cream on Trang Tien street near the Sword lake. Don’t like any ice cream shop in Hanoi, you can buy ice cream, sit on your bike and enjoy, there is many couple and full of smile - a dating place, or hold your ice cream on hand and walk around the sword lake.
15. Every kind of Bong-corn bong : Favorite street food for girls and kids, less fat and can eat in a long time. The price is only 6000 – 8000 /pack. They are often made of flour or cassava flour then fry.
16. Yogurt- sua chua nep cam: Food for ladies’s skin , the different from Hanoi with other region that they often add more ingredents in yogurt to create taste such as: fruit or Nep Cam. The price only about 5000 VND.
17. Potato storm-fried potato : Cool name huh ! this new foods for kids, the price is about 10000 VND. The tase like many kind of fried potato.
18. Qua chua dam: fruits: The main ingredients are sour and green fruits such as: mango, plum, guava fruit… slice and mix with sugar, pepper powder become attractive foods. The price is about 8000 – 10000VNd/100 gram – depend on the fruit price.
19. Caramen: Hang Than caramen : An old food and maybe from the foreingers, the famou place to eat this food is Hang Than street
20. Tao pho: This is a unique food of Northern of Vietnam for Hot summer, the ingredient as tofu but near the last step to make tofu. The saler will slice Tao Pho to bowl, then pour flower sugar and ice to make a bowl of cool Tao pho. The price is about 5000- 7000VND/ bowl. You can find them on Hang Rong on streets of Hanoi with unique sound “ Tao Pho de”. Street food Hanoi Shops located at many narrow street of old quarter Hanoi