Com Hen (rice with mussel) is a very unique cuisine of Hue. Com Hen contains rice, boiled mussel, star fruit, fish sauce, cabbage, onion, pepper, peanut, chili, and a variety of herbs. The specialty is all of these elements are cold. When people eat Com Hen, they add all the above ingredients to a bowl, and slowly add boiled mussel broth with chili sauce into the bowl (the broth is the only hot thing in Com Hen). Com Hen has an extremely spicy flavor as such, so gastronomes remember it just after one time enjoying.
Bun Bo Hue
Bun bo Hue (Hue style beef vermicelli) or more detail, Bun bo gio heo (beef and pig's knuckle vermicelli) is a popular Vietnamese soup vermicelli dish, and one of the most typical foods of Hue, Vietnam. Fine combination of ingredients make the food famous; the broth is prepared by simmering beef and bones for a long period of time, after that a large range of different spices containing lemon grass and chili are added in. Shrimp paste holds no less importance. Hue people usually add thin slices of beef shank, chunks of boiled oxtail, and pig's knuckles or pork into the bowl. It can also contain cubes of maroon brown congealed pig blood, which are good for those suffering from high blood pressure. The specialty is commonly served with a plenty of herbs like sprouts, lime wedges, cilantro sprigs, onions, and sliced banana blossom. Thinly sliced purple cabbage or iceberg lettuces are used in case of lacking in banana blossom. It is highly recommended for tourists to add a few of shrimp paste directly into the soup.
Banh beo (water fern cake) is a kind of small steamed rice pancake. The name is to refer from the shape of the cake (like a water fern-Beo in Vietnamese). It is white in color, sometimes nearly transparent and usually has a dimple in the center, which is covered with savory recipes including chopped dried or fresh shrimp, scallions, mung bean paste, crispy fried shallots, fish sauce, rice vinegar, and oil. banh beo hue. Photo by Flickr under Creative Commons terms.
Banh khoai (delicious pancake) is so much like Banh xeo (sizzling pancake) since they both are made from rice flour, water, turmeric powder, added slivers of fatty pork, shrimp, bean sprouts and then pan fried. Banh khoai and Banh xeo also are wrapped in mustard leaf, lettuce leaves or rice paper, and stuffed with variety of herb, like mint leaves, basil and served with a sweet and sour mixed sauce. In Hue, Banh khoai is placed open-face instead of being folded in half like Banh xeo. Moreover, Banh khoai always goes with a fermented soy bean sauce, and people consider it a winter food owing to its greasiness and spicy taste of the sauce. Therefore, most Hue citizens only make them when winter coming.
Mam tom chua
The central of Vietnam is reputable for its Mam tom chua (sour shrimp sauce) and Hue is the best place for this unique sauce. Unlike normal shrimp sauce (has brown color and smooth surface), Sour shrimp sauce has orange color while shrimps still keep its original shape. It is quite simple to make this sauce. First, shrimps are clean by salt water (do not use normal water to avoid bad smells) and “cook” by strong rice wine. The shrimps will turn red. After that, carefully mix the shrimps with sticky rice, sliced lesser galangal, garlic and chili. Slowly put all the mixture into a jar covered by guava leaves. Just need to wait for 5-7 days and we have the mouthwatering sour shrimp sauce of our own making. This is the best sauce for boiled pork with vermicelli.a
1. Fried steamed wheat flour cake : fried stream flour Fried steamed wheat flour cake price is about 4000 – 6000 VND, this food is often in the meal in the afternoon. Enjoy with sour sweet sauce or chili sauce
2. Grilled meat by stick: grilled meat : Grilled meat by stick has many lovers especial kids. One price is about 6000 – 10000 VND, you could pay more 2000 VND to have a bread with grilled meat stick. Walking on the streets of Hanoi in the after noon, you can see grilled shops near the side walk with great smell!
3. Banana cake, yam cake: Only with 5000 for one cake, The main ingredients are banana, yam and flour then fry in cooking oil. They are fat food so you could only 1 – 2 cake for once
4. Gio cake: Gio like the name of famous food of Vietnam – Gio Cha but have no Gio in it. This food is made by rice powder and core : chopped black mushroom and meat. The cost is only 7000 – 10000 VND
5. Pillow cake:You are right J.its name like its shape like a pillow. The core inside is meat and quail egg, cost from 7000 – 9000 VND. Pillow cake is often sale in the winter, and people like it. Enjoy with sour sweet sauce and salad
6. Quay:Cheap price is 2000 – 3000 VND/per, Quay is often eaten with salad and sauce as pillow cake. Many people like to put this food in HOT porridge or Pho.
7. Fried food with stick:You can find these food in front of schools for the pupil with cheap price about 5000 – 7000 VND. It’s really a small party for pupil after the school time with full of smile and sharing, there are many kind of stick such as: Hot dog, fried Nem Chua, fish and shrimp…
8. Fried cake: fried cake shopThere are two type of Fried cake depend on their core: the sweet one with sugar and salty one with meat, black mushroom. The main ingredients are rice, peanut powder and honey or sugar. The price is only 2000 – 3000 VND, the salty one price is 4000 VND and enjoy with sauce.
9. Trung Vit Lon: duck egg : Have the babe duck in the eggs, a nutri-food but many foreingers and visitors dont like this food :D . you can find them in Hang Rong shop on ervery streets of Hanoi for breakfast or super. The price is about 6000 – 8000 VND, enjot with salt, ginger.
10. Trung cut lon: quail egg : The same with Trung Vit Lon but Quai’s eggs not Duck’s eggs. I love this food and often buy them from local market to cook. The price in local market only about 10000VND/10 eggs and in the street shop is about 10000VND/5 eggs coz the sauce and they boil them for you. The sauce is made of lemon juice, salt, ginger and pepper.
11. Sugar cane juice-sugar cane juice on street : The price only from 8000 – 10000 VND, this is the great drink for HOT summer and nutritious drink. You can find them everywhere at the drink shop with a sugar cane juice machine, sit down, call for a glass of sugar cane juice and wait for 5 10 minutes. You also walk on streets with a nilon bag of sugar cane juice if you don’t like to sit at the shop.
12. Banh Nhung-nhung shop : 5000 VND for a stack of Banh Nhung, it’s not common food of street food Hanoi. The kids often like them coz the crack.
13. Bo bia: My favorite street foods, I don’t know why name is Bo Bia but it’s really delicious. The ingredients are coconut fibers, sesame and the special is piece of sugar and the “bark” of foods. This food is rolled as spring scroll, the price is only 5000VND, fantastic! What’s a pity , there is now many Bo Bia shop in Hanoi now.
14. Trang Tien ice cream: Trang Tien is the name of street and also the name of famous brand ice cream in Hanoi, everybody in Hanoi know about it. The old brand name for 50 years. It’s not only cheap with price 7000 – 8000 VND and also special by its taste. As its name, you can buy Trang Tien ice cream on Trang Tien street near the Sword lake. Don’t like any ice cream shop in Hanoi, you can buy ice cream, sit on your bike and enjoy, there is many couple and full of smile - a dating place, or hold your ice cream on hand and walk around the sword lake.
15. Every kind of Bong-corn bong : Favorite street food for girls and kids, less fat and can eat in a long time. The price is only 6000 – 8000 /pack. They are often made of flour or cassava flour then fry.
16. Yogurt- sua chua nep cam: Food for ladies’s skin , the different from Hanoi with other region that they often add more ingredents in yogurt to create taste such as: fruit or Nep Cam. The price only about 5000 VND.
17. Potato storm-fried potato : Cool name huh ! this new foods for kids, the price is about 10000 VND. The tase like many kind of fried potato.
18. Qua chua dam: fruits: The main ingredients are sour and green fruits such as: mango, plum, guava fruit… slice and mix with sugar, pepper powder become attractive foods. The price is about 8000 – 10000VNd/100 gram – depend on the fruit price.
19. Caramen: Hang Than caramen : An old food and maybe from the foreingers, the famou place to eat this food is Hang Than street
20. Tao pho: This is a unique food of Northern of Vietnam for Hot summer, the ingredient as tofu but near the last step to make tofu. The saler will slice Tao Pho to bowl, then pour flower sugar and ice to make a bowl of cool Tao pho. The price is about 5000- 7000VND/ bowl. You can find them on Hang Rong on streets of Hanoi with unique sound “ Tao Pho de”. Street food Hanoi Shops located at many narrow street of old quarter Hanoi